Transportation and Parking

UCLA Anderson is readily accessible by several transportation methods. L.A. may be famous for its traffic, but you don't have to drive to get to campus each day! Many students who opt to live in the Westwood area surrounding UCLA are able to walk or cycle to class, while students living in adjacent communities near UCLA are easily able to take public transit to campus. And since UCLA Transportation subsidizes at least half of your fare, there is less stress on your wallet, too.

Commute Options

UCLA Transportation's Commute Options website has information and links to help you find out about subsidy programs and alternate suggestions for commuting to campus, including public transit, vanpools, bicycling and carpooling.

Commute options

Campus Shuttles

Free shuttles loop through much of the campus Monday through Friday every 8 to 10 minutes during posted service hours. The combination of the Campus Express and Wilshire Center routes covers much of the campus and reach into Westwood Village.

Shuttle Info

Parking Permits


Students who will be commuting to campus by car each day will need to pay for a parking permit via UCLA Transportation. Students can purchase one of two general types of permits: a non-ridesharing permit (Commuter Permit, approximately $258 per quarter) or a ridesharing permit (Carpool Parking Permit, approximately $80-$200 per quarter). UCLA Transportation has simplified the student parking application and prioritization process. Students interested in purchasing parking permits simply access the online parking application with their UCLA logon ID and personalized parking options will be displayed. (Please note: Students must be registered for the current term to apply for parking, and parking fees are subject to change.)

  • Parking rates and payment deadlines will be announced this spring. Students may purchase parking permits for Onboarding beginning in July and continuing throughout the Onboarding period.
  • Currently, those living in the 90024 zip-code area do not qualify to participate in a carpool.

For detailed information; please visit the UCLA Transportation website.

Having a Car in L.A.

Even if you decide not to drive to class each day, having a car can make your life easier in Los Angeles and will allow you to explore the many recreational options within hours of the city. Before buying a car in L.A., you should research the following logistical considerations:

License Plates

Nonresident vehicle owners who move to California must register their out-of-state vehicles in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California. You may obtain information, which explains California's registration requirements, by visiting the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Visit California DMV

Driver Licenses

If you are a visitor in California over 18 years of age and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid. If you become a California resident, you must obtain a California driver license within 10 days. For more information about applying for a California license, visit the DMV website.

International students are advised to obtain a license (which will also be required when purchasing and obtaining car insurance). You will need to bring your passport and I-20 upon applying for a license.

Driver License Information

Car Insurance

Basic liability insurance is mandatory in California. Your auto insurance premium is based on a number of factors, including the amount of driving experience you have and your driving history in the U.S. Some insurers accept letters of recommendation from your previous international insurance company or Department of Motor Vehicles (or Transportation).