Each year, UCLA Anderson awards $35,000 fellowships to a select number of self-nominated students who embody Coach John Wooden's values-based leadership philosophy. Each applicant should possess an ability to manage change and have an unquenchable thirst for improvement, constant learning and innovation. Students interested in applying should be able to demonstrate leadership styles that espouse ethics, team spirit, hard work and loyalty. Leadership can focus on variety of areas, including in the community, in the boardroom, in the public or private sector, in the entrepreneurial world, in sports, or in any other area.
Monday, March 20, 2023 – Friday, April 7, 2023
2023 Wooden Fellowship recipients will be notified in summer 2023
Students in the following programs and classes are eligible to apply for this fellowship:
• Full-time MBA Class of 2024
• EMBA Class of 2024
• FEMBA Classes of 2024 and 2025
• MSBA Class of 2023
• MFE Class of 2023
• UCLA-NUS EMBA Class of 2023
Applications are not accepted from students graduating in summer 2023.
Students must be in good academic standing.
John Wooden lived and led by the tenets of his Leadership Pyramid. How will your understanding of Coach Wooden's leadership principles shape the evolution of your own leadership style? Please elaborate by sharing a personal story.
All applications will be reviewed by the Fellowship Review Committee, which includes representatives from eligible degree programs. Wooden Fellowship Award recipients may be asked to attend and speak briefly at the awards dinner, and be featured in promotional photographs and videos.
The program consists of:
- The John Wooden Global Leadership Award recognizes an exemplary leader who personifies Coach Wooden’s leadership philosophy. Past honorees have included Brian Cornell, CEO, Target; Ken Frazier, Executive Chairman of the Board and Former CEO, Merck; Mellody Hobson, Co-CEO & President, Ariel Investments; Reed Hastings, Founder & CEO, Netflix; Kevin Plank, Chairman & CEO, Under Armour; Ursula Burns, CEO, Xerox; Paul E. Jacobs, Executive Chairman, Qualcomm; Robert Iger, Chairman & CEO, Disney; Indra Nooyi, Chairman & CEO, PepsiCo; Peter Ueberroth, Managing Director, Contrarian Group; Frederick Smith, President & CEO, FedEx; Ken Chenault, Chairman & CEO, American Express; and Howard Schultz, Chairman, President & CEO, Starbucks.
- The John Wooden Global Leadership Fellows receive a $35,000 fellowship. These fellowships are funded from the proceeds generated from the annual John Wooden Global Leadership Award Dinner.