The Easton Technology Management Center and the Healthcare Business Association (HBA) at the UCLA Anderson School of Management are proud to announce the Health Care Business Case Competition as part of the Think in the Next Innovation Challenge.
Both the preliminary and final rounds of the competition will take place at UCLA Anderson. The preliminary round will take place on Friday, February 28, 2020, and the winning team will advance to compete in the final round on Saturday, February 29, 2020. Click here for more information on the overall challenge.
Students from all UCLA graduate programs are invited to apply in teams of three to five members. At least two team members must be enrolled in an Anderson MBA program. At least one team member must be from medicine, engineering, public policy or public health. The prize for the overall winning team will be announced soon.
This year’s prompt:
Solve for a problem in health care that will measurably benefit society by leveraging the four frontiers of technology: artificial intelligence (AI), virtual reality/augmented reality (VR/AR), internet of things (IoT) blockchain. Other technologies, such as machine learning, may also be leveraged.
The Easton Technology Management Center develops leaders who shape technology’s future, and the HBA provides professional connections and education to students interested in the business of health care.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided on the first day of the competition.
- Case material submission: Presentation slides must be sent via email by 11:59 p.m. PST on Wednesday, February 26, 2020, to Samer Abraham at email@example.com. Teams will receive a confirmation email.
- We anticipate that the event will last from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, depending on the number of teams participating. A detailed agenda will be sent to participating teams soon.
- Each team will be assigned a team number, which will be used for team identification and to generate the presentation order. Please make sure to include your team number on the title slide of the case. The presentation order will be randomly generated and distributed to the teams before the competition.
- Dress code is business professional. Please contact Samer Abraham at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Presentation: Presentations may be controlled via keyboard or a remote control (which will be provided) and will be loaded onto the presentation computer by a case competition committee member.
- Presenters: Each team must select its presenters. All members of the presenting team are required to be present during the presentation, but all are not required to present.
- Teams may not view other teams’ presentations.
- We also recommend that teams not discuss their case presentations or case content with other teams until all teams have presented.
- Presentation of case analysis: 20 minutes maximum
- Q&A with judges: 10 minutes maximum
- The time limit for each presentation will be strictly adhered to (a warning will be given when five minutes remain). Any leftover time will be utilized as the judging panel sees fit.
- There will be a 10-minute break between each presentation.
- The judging panel will be focusing on understanding how each team identified the problem it intends to solve, how it arrived at its recommendations, the feasibility of implementing such recommendations and each team’s ability to present and support its findings.
To apply for this competition, please provide the following information using the link below:
- Each team member’s name, email address, program and graduation year
- A statement (maximum 250 words) of your team’s solution to the prompt below
Solve for a problem in health care that will measurably benefit society by leveraging the four frontiers of technology: AI, VR/AR, IoT and blockchain. Other technologies, such as machine learning, may also be leveraged.
Click here to apply. We will inform you by February 1, 2020, if your team has been selected to participate. Please contact Samer Abraham at email@example.com if you have any questions.