International students who hold a bachelor's degree or higher from a university located in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada or Australia or who have completed at least 2 years of full-time study at such an institution are exempt from these requirements.
To report the TOEFL score to us electronically, you must select institution code 4837 - UCLA ANDERSON SCHL OF MGMT and then choose "2 - Graduate Management" as the department code.
TOEFL and IELTS English Proficiency Examinations: If you were educated in a foreign language or your native language is not English, you must prove your English fluency by taking either the TOEFL or IELTS test.
- Although the minimum TOEFL score accepted by UCLA is 87 (and 7.0 for IELTS), almost all UCLA Anderson MFE admits taking the TOEFL have over 100 on the TOEFL IBT, or 610 on the TOEFL paper-based test, or 7.0 overall on the IELTS.
- The TOEFL is also required for candidates who attended a university where the medium of instruction was English, but the official language of the country was not English (this includes Singapore and India.
- No preference is given to either language test and all scores will be evaluated in conjunction with GMAT/GRE verbal scores and the AWA (Analytical Writing Assessment) to determine your true proficiency level.
- Applications cannot be reviewed without complete test scores (as reported officially by the testing firm), and applications are only reviewed in the round during which your scores are submitted.
- Official TOEFL score reports are sent electronically upon your request from ETS to UCLA Anderson MFE Admissions (use TOEFL Destination Code 4837-02). Official scores are required for admission but not for applying. IELTS scores are sent by hard-copy mail upon your request. Work experience in English is not sufficient for a waiver of the language exam requirement since the determining factor is where the applicant was educated.
- More information on the university's testing rules for all international applicants is available under UCLA Graduate Division's English requirements.
- UCLA has minimum fluency standards for graduate admissions as shown on their pages.
An international applicant can only be excused from taking the TOEFL or IELTS if he or she:
- Holds a bachelor's or higher degree from a university located in a country in which English is BOTH the spoken language and the medium of instruction (United States, U.K., Canada or Australia), OR Has completed at least two years of full-time study at such an institution
The TOEFL is administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS), and is is offered throughout the year at test centers around the world. Only official TOEFL score reports sent directly from ETS will be accepted for review. The TOEFL is a comprehensive test of English language skills and is used, together with the verbal section of the GMAT and the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA), to determine whether a candidate is prepared to begin a graduate program conducted in English. Minimum scores required for admission to the University are 87 (iBT), 220 (computer based test) and 560 (paper-based test). It is important to note that these are minimums required for admission to the University at large, and that international applicants admitted into UCLA Anderson typically score above 260 on the CBT and 610 on the paper-based exam. The TOEFL code for UCLA Anderson is 4837-02. (Note that the "02" which directs your score to "Graduate Schools of Management" is important for efficient processing of your application.)
Please consult the Admissions Decision Schedule to determine the date by which you must take the TOEFL in order to be considered for a particular admission deadline. TOEFL scores that are more than two years old are not acceptable.
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking) for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication. The minimum overall score required for IELTS is 7.0.