Our article includes sidebars. Does each sidebar count as an element?
Can I use a form of payment other than a credit card?
You may also pay for your submission(s) by check. Please make all checks payable to "The G. and R. Loeb Foundation" and be sure to note in the memo section of the check the entry ID(s) of the submission(s) you wish to pay for. Additionally, please email email@example.com with the ID number(s) of the submission(s) you will be paying for so we can ensure they will be entered into the competition.
Please mail all checks to the following address:
The Gerald Loeb Awards
UCLA Anderson School of Management
110 Westwood Plaza
Gold Hall, Suite B305
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1481
I would like to submit a series I wrote, but there are six articles in my series. What should I do?
How should I format the PDF?
PDFs should be in a standard 8.5" x 11" page size with a legible sized font. If you are submitting an electronic tear sheet, please crop your article to fit the standard size. If there is more than one article or element on a single page, please be sure to clearly distinguish the material to be judged.
Are all elements in my submission required to have a common theme?
For the broadcast specific category, if you choose to submit a package of five (5) segments instead of one full length program, all segments must cover a single topic or subject.
For all other categories, there is no rule that mandates that the elements in a submission have an underlying theme. The vast majority of submissions that we receive do have an underlying theme - by topic/subject or by main author. However, we do receive submissions that contain a collection of the organization's best work with no underlying theme.
I would like to include a URL linking to an interactive element. Do I need to include anything in the PDF?
Yes, you should include the URL in your List of Elements; and also provide a screenshot of the interactive element or visual as separate page in your PDF. The screenshot will only be used as reference and your submission will not be judged by the screenshot. Judges will visit the provided URL and review your entry based on the interactive component (see Submission Example A for clarification).
How do I make a PDF from a URL?
1) Open the URL in your web browser.
2) Click "File" in the upper left hand corner of your browser and select "Print."
3) When the printer dialogue box opens, select "Adobe PDF" as the printer name (may be a list or a dropdown menu).
4) Select "Ok" or "Print" option and you will be asked to save your file.
My submission fits the criteria for multiple categories. Can I enter the same submission in more than one category?
Is there an advantage to including five elements in my submission versus only one or two elements?
No. Submitting multiple elements will not provide you with an advantage. The submission should be a representation of your best work. If your submission is best showcased by multiple elements, then you may include up to the maximum of five elements, however, you are not required to submit more than one element. Submitting less than the maximum number of five elements will also in no way disadvantage you.
How do I combine PDFs into a single PDF?
Combining PDFs will require Adobe Acrobat (not the same as Adobe Reader).
1) Open Adobe Acrobat.
2) Click "File" in the upper left hand corner of your browser and select "Combine Files."
3) When the combine files dialogue box opens, select "Add Files..." and chose the files you wish to combine.
4) You can change the order you want the PDFs in by using the "Move Up" and "Move Down" buttons at the bottom of the combine file dialogue box.
5) Select Next.
6) You will be asked to choose the type of combined PDF file to create. Choose "Merge file sinto a single PDF" then press "Create."
7) Save your file accordingly. If you are still unable to conbine your PDFs, please email your PDFs as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org and note the order in which the PDFs should be combined and a Loeb representative will be happy to combine your PDF for you then email it back.