The 2018 John Wooden Global Leadership Fellowship Application
Each year, UCLA Anderson seeks up to four students who embody Coach Wooden’s values-based leadership philosophy. Fundamental components of this leadership style include a focus on ethics, team spirit, skill, hard work and loyalty. Each recipient of this $35,000 award should also possess an unquenchable thirst for improvement, constant learning and innovation.
Eligibility & Requirements
Students in the full-time MBA, EMBA and UCLA-NUS EMBA Class of 2018, and FEMBA Class of 2018 and Class of 2019, are eligible to apply for 2017 fellowships. Applications are not accepted from students graduating in summer 2017.
Students must be in good academic standing. We encourage all interested students to apply.
Learn About the Fellowship
All applications will be reviewed by the Fellowship Review Committee that will include representatives from all eligible degree programs. Award recipients will attend the dinner, be included in promotional photographs and videos and may be asked to speak briefly at the awards dinner.
• Write an essay, up to 500 words: John Wooden lived and led by the tenets of his Leadership Pyramid. In your daily life, what principles guide you? Please elaborate by sharing a personal story.
• One letter of recommendation from a current or prior employer. This letter should not be from a UCLA Anderson faculty or staff member. The letter should outline your leadership skills and abilities.
• A copy of your current resume.
Full-time MBA, FEMBA, and EMBA applications are open through Tuesday May 1, 2018.
UCLA-NUS EMBA applications are open from Wednesday May 23, 2018 – Saturday June 23, 2018.
In 2008, UCLA Anderson established the John Wooden Global Leadership Program to build upon Coach John Wooden’s legacy of leadership. The program consists of:
• The John Wooden Global Leadership Award, recognizes an exemplary leader who personifies Coach Wooden’s leadership philosophy. Past honorees have included: Kevin Plank, Chairman & CEO, Under Armour; Ursula Burns, CEO, Xerox; Paul E. Jacobs, Executive Chairman, Qualcomm; Robert Iger, Chairman & CEO, Disney; Indra Nooyi, Chairman & CEO, PepsiCo; Peter Ueberroth, Managing Director, Contrarian Group; Frederick Smith, President & CEO, FedEx; Ken Chenault, Chairman & CEO, American Express; and Howard Schultz, Chairman President & CEO, Starbucks.
• The John Wooden Global Leadership Fellowship awards up to four $35,000 fellowships. These fellowships are funded from the proceeds generated from the annual John Wooden Global Leadership Award Dinner.