The Riordan Scholars Program seeks talented individuals who have demonstrated academic success and leadership skills and who lack exposure to graduate-level education. We encourage all applicants to learn more about the Riordan Scholars Program admissions process through our web resources located below. If you have questions about the application or program that you cannot find the answers for on our website, please feel free to contact our Assistant Director of Programs via telephone at 310-206-3596 or via email at email@example.com.
APPLICATION INFORMATION AND DEADLINES
Online applications for the 2015 - 2016 academic year will become available in January! The deadline to submit all application materials is Friday, May 15th, 2015. The 2015 - 2016 Riordan Scholars Program is scheduled to begin in September (2015) and end in May (2016). Tentative program dates are listed below:
Tentative 2015-2016 Session Dates
Orientation - September 19, 2015
Session #1 - October 17, 2015
Session #2 - November 14, 2015
Session #3 - January 23, 2016
Session #4 - February 20, 2016
Session #5 - March 19, 2016
Session #6 - April 23, 2016
session #7- May TBA
*Session attendance is mandatory. All dates are subject to change with prior notice being forwarded.
Decision E-mailed by
January 12, 2015
May 15, 2015
August 7, 2015
- Applicant Background Information
- Copy of unofficial transcript(s)
- 2 required essays; 1 optionalessay
- Essay 1: The Riordan Scholars Program seeks applicants with a range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences. Describe your personal background and the qualities and accomplishments you would bring to The Riordan Scholars Program.
- Essay 2: Why are you interested in spending eight Saturdays as a participant in The Riordan Scholars Program? How does The Riordan Scholars Program fit within your future education and career goals?
- Essay 3 (optional): Is there anything you would like us to know about you or your academic record that you have not had the opportunity to describe elsewhere in this application?
- 1 Academic or Community Reference Contact
- Participant Responsibilities
- Must be a sophomore, junior or senior in high school by the start of the program.
- Have a strong academic record ("B" average or better).
- Demonstrated leadership skills and active involvement at school and in the community.
- First generation college student.
- Prior experience in or knowledge of business not required.
Participation in the Riordan Scholars Program is granted on a tuition-free basis to those who are admitted. Supplies and materials are provided during the monthly Saturday sessions (September - May) along with continental breakfast and lunch.
While transportation to the monthly Saturday sessions at UCLA has been provided to selected schools within the Los Angeles Unified School District, alternative methods of transportation are encouraged that include: being dropped off at the UCLA Anderson campus, carpooling with other Scholars and taking public transportation. Bus tokens and parking will be provided on a case by case basis with prior notice required.
Admitted Riordan Scholars are required to attend all monthly Saturday sessions. Riordan Scholars are expected to exhibit a professional demeanor and actively participate in all session discussions, workshops, and activities. Respect towards fellow Scholars, Programming Staff, Mentors, and session guests, including faculty members, professional speakers and volunteers is obligatory. Appropriate attire is required at all Riordan Programs functions.
For more information on applying to the program, please refer to the information and FAQ's below.
- What is the curriculum for The Riordan Scholars Program?
- What are the eligibility requirements for The Riordan Scholars Program?
- Is attendance at every Saturday session mandatory?
- What if a copy of my unofficial school transcripts are late?
- Do I have to submit official transcripts with my application?
- Can I turn in my application after the application deadline?
- Can I email or fax my application?
- Who do I fax or email my transcripts to?
- What are my chances of acceptance?
- How do I sign up for my admission interview?
- Can I call or email to check on my admission status?
- What if I do not have access to a computer or the internet?
- Can I save my online application and return to it at a later time?
- Eight monthly Saturday sessions at the state-of-the-art UCLA Anderson School of Management
- Special guest speakers from the corporate and academic community
- Lectures by top UCLA Anderson Faculty, including college and MBA-level coursework
- SAT Prep Workshops and individualized College Action Plan counseling
- Professional development workshops, including essay writing, resume writing, interviewing techniques, public speaking and PowerPoint training
- Stock Market and Research Analyst Presentation & Competition
- Personal mentors who are current MBA students at UCLA Anderson School of Management
- Corporate visits to companies such as Goldman Sachs, Warner Brothers, Toyota, etc.
- Transportation provided to UCLA (selected high schools)
*ALL of the above is provided on a tuition FREE basis to Riordan Scholars
- Must be a sophomore, junior or senior (as of Sept. '15)
- Applicants are expected to have a strong academic record ("B" average or better)
- Demonstrated leadership skills and active involvement at school and in the community
- It is not necessary to have prior experience in or knowledge of business, just an interest to learn
- Parents should not have post-collegiate education (1st and 2nd generation college students should apply).
Yes. Attendance is mandatory for all participants.
A copy of your unofficial high school transcripts can be faxed or emailed to our office separately but all parts of the application must be submitted by May 15, 2015. We will not accept any mailed copies of your unofficial transcripts. Your application will be penalized for any late materials received and will affect your chances of being admitted into the program. Please note that in order for your application to be reviewed, all components must be fully completed and submitted by the deadline.
No, however a copy of your latest grade report (for Spring 2015) must be submitted to our office via fax or email before your application will be considered complete.
No, late applications will not be accepted. The online application will close at 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2015. All application materials including transcripts must be submitted by the May 15th deadline.
No, the application must be submitted online. We will not accept any faxed or emailed copies of applications. The only component of the application that can be emailed or faxed into our office is your transcript.
You can fax your transcripts to The Riordan Programs Office at (310) 267-0165. You can email your transcripts to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should say "2016 Riordan Scholar Application- High School Transcript". In the body of the message please give your name and high school.
Every application submitted by the May 15th deadline will receive the same treatment. Each year The Riordan Programs admits an extraordinary group of students. We have carefully designed our review process to ensure quality and fairness. Admission into The Riordan Programs is highly selective and based on a comprehensive review of all applicants.
We will not be holding any interviews for Riordan Scholar applicants.
We will not accept or return any calls nor respond to any emails regarding admission decisions. All applicants will be notified by email of their admission decision by August 7, 2015. To verify that your complete application was received, please print the confirmation page after submitting you online application.
What if I do not have access to a computer or the internet?
The Riordan Programs understands that each applicants situation is unique. However, we have allotted a 5 month application process to allow individuals to prepare and find accommodations to apply for our program. Please consider using school or public library resources.
Yes, you can save your application and return to it at a later time. If you are in the application you will find a "Save" button at the top of the page. You will need to provide an email address and password in order to save. An email message with your saved application link will be sent to your email address. You will need to click on that specific link in order to retrieve your saved application. Please use a password you can remember easily or write it down.