How do I specialize in Social Impact?

Your coursework must include 16 units to obtain the Social Impact specialization. This entails:

  • Completion of MGMT 298D – Impact Creation, Analysis and Evaluation (4 units)
  • At least two courses (8 units) from Category I electives (can include an approved graduate-level course from Community Health Sciences, Education, Environmental Health Sciences, Health Policy and Management, Public Policy, Social Welfare and/or Urban Planning)
  • At least one course (4 units) from Category II electives
When will the required course be offered?

MGMT 298D – Impact Creation, Analysis and Evaluation will be offered in the Winter Quarter of 2017.

Can courses I take outside of UCLA Anderson count toward my specialization?

Yes, we encourage you take rigorous, graduate-level courses outside of Anderson to gain a multidisciplinary perspective on social impact. You may find several valuable courses at other UCLA graduate schools that advance your knowledge of both impact measurement and social impact content. These courses are subject to the approval of the Faculty Director of Impact@Anderson in order to qualify for the specialization in Social Impact.

I’m a second-year MBA student. Can I complete the specialization?

Yes. You may have already completed many of the courses that qualify for the specialization in Social Impact. You may just need to complete the required course.

Is the specialization available to students in the FEMBA program?

Yes, students in the FEMBA program are encouraged to complete the specialization. Several of the courses that qualify for the specialization are offered at FEMBA-friendly times.

Why is there a required course?

We feel it is important to gain a common understanding and establish a foundation in social impact across all students. There can be confusion about the meaning of basic terminology in this field, not to mention major concepts, methods and principles. A required foundational course helps establish a clear baseline for students studying social impact.

What if I do a pro-social AMR or GAP project?

We encourage you to complete a pro-social AMR or Global Access Program (GAP) project. A pro-social AMR or GAP project will count for 8 units toward your specialization. This means you will need the required course and one additional course from either Category I or II to complete the specialization..

Is a pro-social AMR or GAP project mandatory?

No, a pro-social AMR or GAP project is not mandatory.

What if I plan to start a social enterprise through the Business Creation Option?

We will consider a social venture BCO in place of a pro-social AMR on an individual basis.