Introduction to Data Modeling and SQL: Business of Technology Workshop Series
Led by Professor Ludwig Slusky
Note: It is expected that the students will work on their own MAC or Windows laptops. However, (Microsoft) MS Access is not typically included in the MS Office installed on MAC laptops. Therefore, it is recommended that the Workshop will be based on a free downloadable version of MySQL for either MAC or Windows.
Pre-requisite: Students must have MySQL installed on a MAC or Windows computer. Workshop Study Materials
- Workshop Guide: The Guide will be made available to enrolled students prior to the session and will include MySQL installation guidance and the exercises to be used during the workshop.
- Presentation slides: Summary of principles of database design and SQL commands; will be presented during the Workshop.
- Online SQL materials in public domain.
Online assistanceAssistance (Q&A) will be provided via email within 3 days before the workshop and for the purpose of the Workshop only. Workshop Learning Objectives:
- To become familiar with basic principles of database design
- To become familiar and practice basic commands of Structured Query Language (SQL)
Professor Ludwig Slusky Ludwig Slusky, Ph.D. is a Professor in the Department of Information Systems at the College of Business & Economics, California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA) where he was teaching since 1985. In the past, he also taught at the University of Northern Colorado and Denver University.He is recognized as a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) of The International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium ((ISC)² since 2009. Ludwig Slusky is a Fulbright Scholar and performed consulting work overseas for Citizens Development Corps (Russia, Azerbaijan) and Eurasia Foundation (Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan).In the area of Database Design, Dr. Slusky has developed instructional materials - practical cases in MySQL database prototyping based on businesses with Internet presence (Amazon, LinkedIn, DevianArt, Hertz, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, Travelocity, etc.).