May 09, 2003
The UCLA Anderson Forecast and The Richard S. Ziman Center for Real Estate Present: "From Global Crisis to Fragile Real Estate Markets"
The Anderson School at UCLA is proud to present two of its acclaimed research centers, The UCLA Anderson Forecast and The Richard S. Ziman Center for Real Estate, in a conference on the economy and current global events and their impact on California real estate. For the first time, the collaboration of these highly respected centers makes it possible for conference participants to understand and react to the impact that international, national, state and local economic and political forces will have on California's commercial and residential real estate markets.
Keynote: Paul Erdman, best selling author and international economist, who will speak on "Global Crises: Threats to the U.S. & California Economies"
UCLA Anderson Forecast: "The Economic Outlook for the Nation, California and Los Angeles"
Forecast Director Edward Leamer, Senior Economists Tom Lieser and Christopher Thornberg will provide their economic prognostications and cover the following topics:
- War in the Middle East: Will it derail the U.S. recovery?
- Business Investment: When will it return in force?
- State Government Budget Deficit: How severe is this threat?
- Residential Real Estate: Is the fire starting to dampen?
- Commercial Real Estate: How long until the market can absorb all of the excess space?
- The Bay Area: Has the bottom been reached? When will Silicon Valley again be a source of economic growth?
Keynote: William C. Wheaton, director, Center for Real Estate at MIT and principal, Torto Wheaton Research, who will speak on "How Fragile Are the National and California Commercial Real Estate Economies?"
Afternoon Panel Sessions:
Industry Perspectives on California's Commercial Real Estate Economy:
- Roy C. March, president and senior partner, Eastdil Realty Company, LLC.
- Wayne Ratkovich, president, The Ratkovich Company
- Jordan Kaplan, principal and CFO, Douglas Emmett and Co.
- Peter Lowy, CEO, Westfield America
- Edward P. Roski, Jr., president, Majestic Realty
Meet the Experts Sessions:
(Each session is repeated once, enabling attendees to attend two out of three.)
An Individual's Guide to Real Estate Investment: REITs, Partnerships, CMOs, Buying that 4-plex:
- Layton Pace, partner, Ervin, Cohen & Jessup
- Thomas M. Mendelson, vice president, Northern Trust Bank of California
Real Estate Debt & Equity: Who has it and how do I get it?:
- Gregory Rickard, sr. vice president, Keybank Commercial Real Estate
- David Blenko, president, Haverford Capital
Building Blocks vs. Buildings Blocked: Navigating the Entitlement Morass:
- Ira D. Handelman, principal, Handelman Consulting, Inc.
- Benjamin M. Reznick, partner, Jeffer, Mangels, Butler & Marmaro LLP
Thursday, June 5, 2003; 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Skirball Cultural Center, 2701 North Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles
Members of the public can register to attend the conference by visiting the either the UCLA Anderson Forecast Web site at http://forecast.anderson.ucla.edu or the Ziman Center Web site at http://www.zimancenter.com/conference6-5
Media Relations, (310) 206-7707, email@example.com