In today’s fast-paced converging world, innovation is increasingly the inspiration behind sustainable business advantage and a catalyst for corporate growth.
The KFAS Innovation Challenge 2019 has been developed in collaboration with the prestigious University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Anderson School of Management, specifically for Kuwait’s private sector companies. The program offers 10 Kuwaiti companies an opportunity to develop their innovation capabilities. Teams will learn from UCLA experts in workshops held in Kuwait and Los Angeles. They will put innovation into practice through team-based action learning workshops, innovation projects and coaching.
The Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS), invites companies in Kuwait’s private sector to take advantage of this unique training opportunity to develop their company's innovation capabilities.
“One of KFAS’s strategic objectives is to develop business innovation capabilities in the private sector. This unique program is specifically serving this objective by combining collective wisdom gained over years from designing customized executive education programs with partners and collaborators from around the World into a curated collection of action learning content, both formal and informal, to acquire practical skills to innovate in corporate environments.”
The KFAS Innovation Challenge 2019 is a blended learning experience taught over a period of five months. The program is centred around real business challenges that each team will bring where they need to innovate. That challenge will be explored throughout the program phases and teams will apply their learnings on their innovation projects.
Innovation topics taught include:
- Building a culture of innovation
- Building organizational innovation capabilities
- Innovation leadership and high performing teams
- Value proposition design
- Service and process innovation
- Generating new business models
- Design thinking and innovation
- Implementing innovation
The program will conclude in Los Angeles, where teams will visit Disney to gain insights into their unique way of doing business as well as going on other site visits to major companies renowned for their focus on innovation such as Snapchat, Netflix, etc.
Participants will work in teams on self-generated innovation projects, resulting in initiatives that can directly impact their company. Projects steps include ideation and concept formulation; innovation planning and execution; product and service prototyping; testing and validation; and measuring impact.
UCLA coaches will be assigned to the project team, guiding them to achieve their innovation goals. Through highly personalized in-person, virtual, and assessments-based coaching, they will ensure your team stays focused on delivering their innovation project objectives.
January — May
company site visits
“An enriching experience that offers both the depth and breadth of understanding what innovation is, how it is applied, and the tools required to take you through the process of innovation.”
- As a participating company you will benefit from the strategic and commercial impact of the learning and a specific innovation project developed for you by your team over the program journey.
- Accelerate organizational performance and develop sustainable competitive advantage.
- Learn best practices to introduce innovation as part of your company's culture.
- Demonstrate a commitment to future high-potential executives to develop innovation capabilities.
- Gain a deep and practical understanding of innovation theories, approaches and the ability to translate an innovation vision into action.
- Develop the confidence and competencies to become an innovation champion within your company.
- Integrate new innovation strategies with your company strategies and successfully execute innovation initiatives.
The cost of this unique training opportunity will be covered by KFAS. Companies will only be responsible for their team's travel expenses, if they qualify to attend the final workshop in Los Angeles, USA.
Participation is open to all Kuwaiti private sector companies through nomination of a company team with size ranging between 3 to 5 members. It is essential for successful participation that each team has excellent dynamics.
Selection criteria include:
- Kuwaiti National
- 3 years of experience
- Motivated, ambitious, high potential middle management across all functional areas
- High proficiency in English
- Teams with the potential to implement and drive innovation in their company
Evaluation and assessment, including an in person team interview will be conducted. Teams will be assessed on the business challenge they bring forward to the program during the interviews. The 10 teams with the highest potential to achieve the program objectives will be selected. No previous innovation experience is required. Priority will be given to companies that have not participated in prior years as well as KFAS contributing companies.
Learning Director and Innovation Coach
Mitchell will guide participants through the process of applying innovation concepts to their projects, offering insights and opportunities for reflection along the way.
Business improvisations will lead the group through a series of experiential activities that explore effective team dynamics in Module 1.
Scott will guide teams through the Design Thinking process in Module 1 to enhance and accelerate their innovation projects.
Professor Larkin will connect the concepts of business innovation to strategy formation and implementation in Module 3.
Professor McCann will lead the group through best practices of effective communication and business storytelling in Module 3.