Pre-Orientation Deliverables: Due August 15
1. CareerLeader® Self-Assessment Tool
Self-assessment is a crucial part of any career search and CareerLeader® is one of the most respected assessment tools. Created by two psychologists at Harvard Business School, this online tool and is the culmination of 13 years of research conducted on MBAs and business leaders finding that an individual's interests, motivators, and skills drive career success and satisfaction. At Anderson, we use the CareerLeader® analysis in our initial advising sessons and encourage you to revisit it at inflection points. Completion time: ~1-2 hours
- Log on and follow the onscreen prompts to the NEW USER section of the page
- Enter your personal email address
- Enter registration key: anderson-opera
- Complete a brief registration process
- Click on TAKE THE TEST for each of the three inventories (Interests, Motivators, Skills).
- After completing all three inventories, you will be able to view your personalized results on your dashboard. Your printable personalized CareerLeader Report will be available within the Toolbox section of the user dashboard.
- Complete the 360° Feedback Tool. Heads up: it can take weeks to get others to fill out, so don't procrastinate.
Trouble accessing the site? Please email advisor Sally Stahl.
Trouble finding the 360 Feeedback tool?
2. Upload Your UCLA Anderson Resume
Summer internship recruiting starts fall quarter, so it is vital to start working on your resume now.
- Change your resume into the official UCLA Anderson Resume Template.
- Put your EXPERIENCE bullet points in the Situation-Action-Result (SAR) format
Get more pointers on resume writing, as well as view sample resumes on the Resume of the internal portal.
Stay tuned for a Resume webinar available starting July 31, 2013.
Parker CMC career advisors will partner with you in Orientation and the fall to help you create a high-impact, targeted resume that will most accurately reflect your accomplishments in your prior career to potential employers. Employers will not have access to your resume until late October after it has undergone several revisions. Can't access these links? You may have not activated your Anderson network account.
3. Create a Profile on LinkedIn
As you probably know, LinkedIn is a fantastic tool to grow and manage your network. In the Parker Series, we will cover some of the key features to find the right job and get noticed by recruiters.
- If you do not already have one, create a profile. A 49 second guide by LinkedIn.
- Tips on the Parker NetWorking Blog
- Want some examples? Check out the Parker TAs:
4. Populate Your Networking Info
Add your previous employer, indended function & industry and LinkedIn url into the Class of 2015 Parker Networking spreadsheet
This is a resource for your class to establish further contacts and aid in your outreach.
5. Sign-up for your 1-on-1 Pre-Orientation advising session
You will have a 20-minute appointment with an assigned adviser before school starts, so we can get to know you personally and learn about your career goals. More information on August 14.
All of the Parker Career Advisors are generalists, but are also aligned with industries and functions. You can meet with your assigned advisor or any member of the team throughout the year for resume critique, mock interviews and guidance on decision making.
6. Read the Startup of You (optional)
Written by Reid Hoffman, the founder of LinkedIn, The Startup of You is a quick read that you can consume during your lunch break or on some exotic beach. Great insight into the modern job search, just-in-time hiring, personal branding, and back-up plans. Last year, one student liked the book so much that she bought it for all of her family members for Christmas.