The recommendation provides us with third-party confirmation and insights into your achievements. You should choose a recommender who will support your candidacy with concrete examples of performance and impact on the organization.
- Questions from the on-line recommendation form are shown below and are for reference only.
- The Recommendation must be submitted on-line, not via hard-copy responses to these questions.
- You must register your recommender, who then use the confidential on-line link they receive directly from ApplyYourself. Your recommender also has the option to upload an additional document if desired.
- If your recommender does not write in English, the uploaded document can be a certified translation of their comments.
- Only one recommendation is accepted per application.
- Ideally your recommendation should be from a current direct supervisor who is best equipped to answer questions about your leadership, communication, teamwork, initiative and other skills.
- If you are unable to ask a current supervisor for a recommendation, then you can ask a former boss, a manager from another department, or a consultant or client who knows you well enough to answer the questions insightfully.
- Academic contacts are not usually able to provide information on management potential. Similarly, family members, peers and friends are not appropriate as recommenders.
- Your recommenders' own titles or positions are not important - instead, their ability to comment knowledgeably and specifically about you is vital.
- Letters from contacts (including alumni) who do not know you well cannot add value like direct supervisors can.
- Online recommendations are due by the application deadline.
Recommendation Questions and Topics*
1. How do the candidate's performance, potential, or personal qualities compare to those of other well‐qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
2. Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
3. In UCLA Anderson's school culture we share success, drive change and think fearlessly. Please give examples where the applicant exhibited any or all of these.
*Please note: Questions and topics listed above are for reference only. Actual submission of letters of recommendation is done online, through the application system only.