Recommendations provide us with third-party confirmation and insights into your achievements. You should choose two recommenders who will support your candidacy with concrete examples of performance and impact on the organization.
- Questions from the on-line recommendation form are shown below and are for reference only.
- Recommendations must be submitted on-line, not via hard-copy responses to these questions.
- You must register your recommenders, who then use the confidential on-line link they receive directly from ApplyYourself. Your recommender also has the option to upload an additional document if desired.
- If your recommender does not write in English, the uploaded document can be a certified translation of their comments.
- Only two recommendations are accepted per application.
- One recommendation should be from a current direct supervisor who is best equipped to answer questions about your leadership, communication, teamwork, initiative and other skills.
- If you are unable to ask a current supervisor for a recommendation, then you can ask a former boss, a manager from another department, or a consultant or client who knows you well enough to answer the questions insightfully.
- Academic contacts are not usually able to provide information on management potential. Similarly, family members, peers and friends are not appropriate as recommenders.
- Your recommenders' own titles or positions are not important - instead, their ability to comment knowledgeably and specifically about you is vital.
- Letters from contacts (including alumni) who do not know you well cannot add value like direct supervisors can.
- Online recommendations are due by the application deadline.
Sample Recommendation Questions and Topics*
1. How strong is the candidate's focus in terms of being results-oriented, strategically-minded, and career-driven?
2. How does the candidate demonstrate leadership, e.g., by creating a vision, motivating others, managing resources, and taking risks?
3. How strong are the candidate's interpersonal skills as shown by their professionalism, teamwork, attitude, and conflict management?
4. How effective is the candidate in communicating clearly, eloquently, and confidently (in written and oral form)?
5. How does the candidate bring a unique perspective, and contribute to activities outside the workplace?
*Please note: Questions and topics listed above are for reference only. Actual submission of letters of recommendation is done online, through the application system only.