Essays are the primary way for you to share your perspective and career plans. The best essays are introspective, genuine and succinct in directly answering the questions and responding to the topics.
Essay questions are listed below for both first-time applicants and re-applicants.
• You should try to distinguish yourself by showing what makes you different from others who share similar profiles.
• Make a strong case for your future plans. Even if your career plans change during business school, your application essays should lay out a clear trajectory for short-term and long-term goals. Do this by demonstrating how you expect to build on skills from your past, and those you expect to gain from the MBA.
• Content and clarity are key elements, as we seek superior communication skills.
• Style is a consideration too, although we understand that those who speak other languages may have different manners of expression in English.
• Length does not equal strength. A well-written short essay can have even more impact than a longer essay. Please try to respect the word limits indicated below.
FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS - 3 REQUIRED ESSAYS:
EMBA Essay 1: Legendary UCLA basketball coach, the late John Wooden, once said that leadership is influence derived from one's character. Describe how as a leader, your life and character have motivated others to follow your lead by the example you set, not merely by the power of your position. (500 word limit)
EMBA Essay 2: What specific career goals are you looking to pursue in business school and why? How do you plan to support and achieve these goals using the resources provided by ProMBA Career Center at UCLA Anderson? (500 word limit)
EMBA Essay 3: Describe a time when you were stretched beyond your comfort zone and what you learned from your experience. (300 word limit)
EMBA Essay 4: Upload your organizational chart, either official or original, to illustrate your relationship and position to that of the C-Level and/or Board of Directors.
EMBA Essay 5 (Re-Applicants only): If you are re-applying, please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (Maximum 1 page, double-spaced, 12 point font)