Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1, 2012

You must fill out the FAFSA in order to participate in the federal student loan program, which includes the Federal Stafford loans and the Federal Graduate PLUS loan. You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident to apply for federal student aid (if you are an international student, you will need to pursue a private loan). Here's how to apply:

  1. Fill out the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov
  2. The UCLA School Code is #001315
  3. You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident to receive federal financial aid
  4. Application information questions: (800) 433-3243
  5. Technical Assistance: (800) 801-0576
  6. You may apply on the FAFSA up until May 2011 for federal aid
  7. Cost of Attendance is NOT the same as tuition cost. See the FAQ at www.fao.ucla.edu
  8. The Federal government will be your lender (Department of Education)

The FAFSA is a qualifier for the Federal Stafford and Federal Graduate PLUS loans.

Once you complete your FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). Please be sure to read your SAR because you may be required to submit additional documents for verification. If you have a Selective Service flag on your SAR, please contact the Selective Service office by visiting their website at http://www.sss.gov/ and by consulting this guide. You will need to request an Exemption Letter, which may take up to 4 months to process. If you have a request for the Selective Service documentation, you will not be able to move forward with the financial aid process until you receive your Exemption Letter from the Selective Service Office.