LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT OBJECTIVES
The leadership development portfolio of activities in the UCLA Anderson EMBA program is designed to develop emotionally intelligent leaders and focuses on key emotional intelligence competencies. Much has been written on emotional intelligence and the research tells us the best leaders are the ones who are the most emotionally intelligent
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM COMPONENTS:
1. LEADERSHIP FOUNDATIONS CORE COURSE
'Leadership Foundations' is a required course that examines leadership development from individual, team and organizational perspectives. In the first year, Leadership Foundations starts with the Opening Residential and continues into the fall quarter and concludes at the end of the first year. Second year Leadership Foundations continues in the winter quarter and ends just prior to the International Residential.
Leadership Foundations - First Year: sets the stage with a focus on self-evaluation of leadership strengths and weaknesses, developing self-assessment and self-reflection skills, individual problem-solving and decision-making, individual goal setting and goal achievement, as well as peer coaching leading and working in teams.
Leadership Foundations - Second Year: focuses on individual career development, organizational social networks, organizational and team design and development, conflict management and organizational change. The continuing assignment in both years is the creation and development of a Leadership Map, which serves as a developmental blueprint for students as they move through the EMBA program and strengthen their leadership. The Leadership Map is revisited throughout the entire EMBA program to revise and refine the Leadership Map throughout the 22 month program.
2. ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONAL CONTENT
- Series of presentations by leading experts on leadership, emotional intelligence and 360 degree assessments
- Elective classes that focus on key leadership communication skills such as Persuasion, Thinking on your Feet, and Negotiations
3. PRACTICAL TOOLS -- Two personalized assessments and individual detailed feedback reports
- Emotional Intelligence -View 360: a multi-rater feedback instrument which measures critical leadership, relationship, interpersonal and communication competencies related to emotional intelligence
4. HANDS-ON RESOURCES
- Support students as they create and implement their individual leadership development plans
- Online tools and resources, including access to a web-based learning system that is directly connected to the 360 assessment and allows students to monitor their Leadership Development Plans.
- A comprehensive competency-based leadership development resource center
- The opportunity to get individual coaching from an executive coach on their Leadership Development Plans
5. LEADERSHIP SPEAKER SERIES
UCLA Anderson invites many of the world's most prominent leaders from the business, not-for-profit and public sectors as well as leadership experts to speak to EMBA students and share their views, insights, and advice on what it takes to be a successful leader.
Our recent past speakers include Kevin Sharer, CEO, Amgen. Inc., Julia Stewart, CEO, IHOP, Betsy Mc