The job search process involves the following steps. Visit the related webpage on each step of the job search process for resources and tools. See a recent article by Kathryn Ullrich on 10 common job hunting mistakes.
- Self Assessment – Identify your key competencies, interests and values.
- Research – Target companies that would be interested in hiring you. Do research on companies and people at these companies for you to network with.
- Networking – The key to a quicker job search is actively networking with people in your targeted space. Learn how to do informational interviewing effectively.
- Resume – Learn to write effective resumes that convey your brand to target companies. The key is to tailor your background to the job you are seeking. In today’s market it is absolutely important to get across your distinctive brand and use keywords.
- Letter Writing – Find examples of effective cover letters, thank you emails and other correspondence.
- Interviewing – Prepare and practice for interviews of all types.
- Negotiating – Identify elements of a compensation package that you can include when negotiating compensation.