Hardware Requirements 2012
If you have been accepted into the UCLA Anderson School, we offer you our congratulations. Student Technology Services (STS) is here to help you prepare to use technology to the fullest extent possible. Our goal simply stated is to help you make informed choices, get you up and running at Anderson and help you keep your laptop in tip-top shape.
This is the preliminary information for you about Anderson laptop requirements for incoming students, Fall 2012.
For students who are considering purchasing a new laptop, we recommend that you wait until mid-summer for the latest laptop models. Technology changes quickly and you may end up purchasing an older model if you buy it now.
- Laptop Hardware Requirements
- Tablet and Netbook Information
- Laptop Software Requirements
- STS Support Policy
- Known Issues-Hardware & Software
These are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for your laptop. The MINIMUM requirements are what we feel will be the bare minimum configuration for your laptop. The RECOMMENDED requirements are what we feel will be the optimal configuration for your laptop. You will be a student for the next two or three years and combining this with our years of experience as a support office we have created these recommendations.
|Processor||Intel i5 2410 2.3 GHz
||Intel i3 2310M 2.1 GHz|
|Hard Drive||200 GB||100 GB|
|Memory(RAM)||4 GB||2 GB|
|Video Card||128 MB||128 MB|
|Optical Drive||DVD-RW or DVD-RW DL||DVD-R or DVD-RW|
|Warranty||3 Years parts and labor + Accidental Protection||3 Years parts and labor|
|Wireless||Wireless Card (802.11 b/g)||Wireless Card (802.11 g)|
|Network Cable||RJ-45e/CAT5 network cable||RJ-45e/CAT5 network cable|
|Region||Manufactured for U.S. only||Manufactured for U.S. only|
Tablets (Apple's iPad, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, Motorola's Zoom, etc.) and Netbooks (super small laptops with limited memory, processing power and no CD/DVD drive) do not meet the minimum hardware requirements for UCLA Anderson School of Management. While these devices are useful secondary devices, they cannot replace your primary laptop, and do not meet the laptop requirement. Tablets and Netbooks are suitable for consuming content (checking e-mail, surfing the Internet, watching a video) but they are not compatible with educational software necessary to produce the coursework in your MBA program.
All software requirements must be met prior to the beginning of the school year to ensure your readiness for classes.
Student must bring
||Professional or Ultimate 32bit||Home Premium
||Starter & Home Basic
|Office20101||Standard, Professional, Professional Plus, Ultimate, or Enterprise 32bit
||Home & Student||Basic, Online or 64bit version
It is vital you bring Office 2010 32bit version and not Office 2010 64bit version. Required educational software will only install properly on the specified version. Office 2010 Home & Student versions do not include Outlook (Outlook is not a required product).
Additionally STS can only provide support for United States, English language versions of operating systems and Office productivity suites.
Anderson will provide
Anderson required educational software runs ONLY on Windows OS and with the Windows version of Office 2010.
If you choose to bring an Apple laptop you are required to install a Windows Partition on your computer. Apple OS 10.7 will allow you to install Parallels, VMware Fusion or use the built in utility Boot Camp. Of these options we recommend the use of Apple's BootCamp.
Additionally, you will need to purchase a licensed copy of Windows 7 OS and Microsoft Office 2010.
Installation of the Windows OS on all Apple laptops is required prior to beginning laptop configuration. Students are responsible for this configuration. STS does not install operating systems on PC or Apple computers.
For more information on Parallels visit Parallels Desktop for Mac.
For more information on Fusion visit VMware Fusion.
Note: Anderson-provided software will be available for download during the online configuration process (after June 2012).
STS will provide the following service to all currently enrolled UCLA Anderson full time MBA, FEMBA and EMBA students whose laptop meets the minimum hardware and software requirements:
- Assistance with software installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Anderson supported applications and tools:
- Wireless and wired connection, network drives and printers, and Email.
- Microsoft Windows 7, Office 2010 (32bit only), and Anderson provided educational software.
- Assistance with AndersoNET account issues (e.g. official name changes, year or program changes, password reset, access problems, etc.).
- Assistance in diagnosing and troubleshooting hardware and software problems with your laptop on a best effort basis.
- Virus and spyware removal and prevention.
- Web, phone, email and in-person support service points.
STS will NOT provide the following service:
- Data backup and retrieval (we can recommend data retrieval companies).
- Hardware repair and depot (shipping and receiving) service.
- Connectivity with home or work wired and wireless networks.
- Support for third party peripherals (e.g. smart phones, digital cameras, MP3 players, etc.).
- Anderson Student Association (ASA) Portal issues (contact your section representative for assistance).
- Support for Anderson alumni.
Should you have any questions regarding these requirements and recommendations, please contact the Student Technology Services office at 310-206-2045 (voicemail) or email@example.com for further assistance.