Hardware Requirements Fall 2013
If you have been accepted into the UCLA Anderson School, we offer you our congratulations. Student Technology Services (STS) is here to help you prepare to use technology to the fullest extent possible. Our goal simply stated is to help you make informed choices, get you up and running at Anderson and help you keep your laptop in tip-top shape.
This is the preliminary information for you about Anderson laptop requirements for incoming students, Fall 2013.
For students who are considering purchasing a new laptop, we recommend that you wait until mid-summer for the latest laptop models. Technology changes quickly and you may end up purchasing an older model if you buy it now.
- Laptop Hardware Requirements
- Tablet and Netbook Information
- Laptop Software Requirements
- STS Support Policy
- Known Issues Page
These are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for your laptop. The MINIMUM requirements are what we feel will be the bare minimum configuration for your laptop. The RECOMMENDED requirements are what we feel will be the optimal configuration for your laptop. You will be a student for the next two or three years and combining this with our years of experience as a support office we have created these recommendations.
|Processor||Intel 3rd Generation i-Core > 2 GHz *
||Intel 2nd Generation i-Core > 2 GHz *|
|Hard Drive||250+ GB SSD||250 GB|
|Memory(RAM)||8+ GB**||4 GB**|
|Video Card||Dedicated Graphics||Integrated Graphics|
|Optical Drive||Recommended***||Optical drive not required***|
|Warranty||3 Years parts and labor + Accidental Protection||3 Years parts and labor|
|Wireless||Wireless Card (802.11 a/b/g/n)||Wireless Card (802.11 a/b/g)|
|Network Cable||RJ-45e/CAT5 network cable||RJ-45e/CAT5 network cable|
|Region||Manufactured for U.S. only||Manufactured for U.S. only|
* 3rd Generation Intel Core processors are more robust than 2nd Generation processors, and i7 processors are more robust than i5 processors which are more robust than i3 processors. This is strictly a price to performance decision - whatever you prefer.
** If you plan on using virtualization software to host an OS (such as a Mac hosting Windows 8), you are advised to purchase a minimum of 8 GB of RAM.
*** While not required, if you would like to purchase an optical drive, be aware that some laptops come with integrated optical drives, while others offer external optical drives as an option. Depending on your needs, an optical drive may be necessary to install software.
Tablets (Apple's iPad, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, Motorola's Zoom, etc.) and Netbooks (super small laptops with limited memory, processing power and no CD/DVD drive) do not meet the minimum hardware requirements for UCLA Anderson School of Management. While these devices are useful secondary devices, they cannot replace your primary laptop, and do not meet the laptop requirement. Tablets and Netbooks are suitable for consuming content (checking e-mail, surfing the Internet, watching a video) but they are not compatible with educational software necessary to produce the coursework in your MBA program.
All software requirements must be met prior to the beginning of the school year to ensure your readiness for classes.
Student must bring
|Operating System*||Windows 7 or 8 Pro||Windows 7 or 8 Pro||Starter, Home, RT|
|Productivity Software**||Microsoft Office 2010, 2013 or 365
||Home & Student||Office for Mac, Versions prior to 2010, or 64-bit versions|
*Mac laptops are acceptable to use as primary computers for study at Anderson, although educational software that may be needed for particular classes is provided for Windows environments only. Mac users have the option of installing a Windows operating system on their computer either using Boot Camp (functionality native to Mac OS) or via a virtual machine (a third party solution, such as Parallels or Vmware Fusion). If you plan to use Boot Camp, please be aware that Boot Camp 5 is required to run either Windows 8 Home or Professional 64-bit versions, and that 32-bit versions of Windows 8 are not supported by Boot Camp.
**It is vital you have a 32-bit version of Office and not a 64-bit version. EVEN if your operating system is 64-bit, it will support a 32-bit version of Office. Required educational software will not install properly with a 64-bit version of Office. Office Home & Student versions do not include Outlook (Outlook is not a required product but often helpful to MBAs).
Additionally STS can only provide support for United States, English language versions of operating systems and Office productivity suites.
Anderson will provide
Anderson educational software runs ONLY on Windows OS and with the Windows version of Office.
Installation of the Windows OS on all Apple laptops is required prior to beginning laptop configuration. Students are responsible for this configuration. STS does not install operating systems on PC or Apple computers.
Note: Anderson-provided software will be available for download during the online configuration process (June 2013).
STS will provide the following service to all currently enrolled UCLA Anderson full time MBA, FEMBA and EMBA students whose laptop meets the minimum hardware and software requirements:
- Assistance with software installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Anderson supported applications and tools:
- Wireless and wired connection, network drives and printers, and Email.
- Microsoft Windows 7 & 8, Office 2010 & 2013 (32-bit only), and Anderson provided educational software.
- Assistance with AndersoNET account issues (e.g. official name changes, year or program changes, password reset, access problems, etc.).
- Assistance in diagnosing and troubleshooting hardware and software problems with your laptop on a best effort basis.
- Virus and spyware removal and prevention.
- Web, phone, email and in-person support service points.
STS will NOT provide the following service:
- Data backup and retrieval (we can recommend data retrieval companies).
- Hardware repair and depot (shipping and receiving) service.
- Connectivity with home or work wired and wireless networks.
- Support for third party peripherals (e.g. smart phones, digital cameras, MP3 players, etc.).
- Anderson Student Association (ASA) Portal issues (contact your section representative for assistance).
- Support for Anderson alumni.
Should you have any questions regarding these requirements and recommendations, please contact the Student Technology Services office at 310-206-2045 (voicemail) or firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.