Laptop Hardware and Software Requirements for Incoming Global Executive MBA for the Americas Students
If you have been accepted into the Global Executive MBA for the Americas program , we offer you our congratulations. Student Technology Services (STS) is here to help you prepare to use technology to the fullest extent possible. Our goal simply stated is to help you make informed choices, get you up and running at Anderson and help you keep your laptop in tip-top shape.
This is the finalized information for you about Anderson laptop requirements for incoming students, Fall 2011.
For students who are considering purchasing a new laptop, we recommend that you wait until mid-summer for the latest laptop models. Technology changes quickly and you may end up purchasing an older model if you buy it now.
Tablets (Apple's iPad, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, Motorola's Zoom, etc.) and Netbooks (super small laptops with limited memory, processing power and no CD/DVD drive) do not meet the minimum hardware requirements for UCLA Anderson School of Management. While these devices are useful secondary devices, they cannot replace your primary laptop, and do not meet the laptop requirement. Tablets and Netbooks are suitable for consuming content (checking e-mail, surfing the internet, watching a video) but they are not compatible with educational software necessary to produce the coursework in your MBA program.
- Laptop Hardware Requirements
- Laptop Software Requirements
- STS Support Policy
- STS Tested Laptop Models
- Choosing A Laptop
- STS Apple Laptop Support Policy (opens in new window)
These are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for your laptop. The MINIMUM requirements are what we feel will be the bare minimum configuration for your laptop. The RECOMMENDED requirements are what we feel will be the optimal configuration for your laptop. You will be a student for the next two or three years and combining this with our years of experience as a support office we have created these recommendations.
|Processor||iCore3 - iCore7 1.6GHz
||Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GHz|
|Hard Drive||200 GB||100 GB|
|Memory(RAM)||4 GB||2 GB|
|Video Card||128 MB||128 MB|
|Optical Drive||DVD-RW or DVD-RW DL||DVD-R or DVD-RW|
|Warranty||3 Years parts and labor + Accidental Protection||3 Years parts and labor|
|Wireless||Wireless Card (802.11 b/g)||Wireless Card (802.11 g)|
|Network Cable||RJ-45e/CAT5 network cable||RJ-45e/CAT5 network cable|
|Electrical Voltage and Frequency||120 V and 60Hz compliant|
|For more information regarding electrical power differences as you travel globally||http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm|
If you would like to check if Windows 7, which is the standard operating system for UCLA Anderson students, will run on your current laptop, please visit the Microsoft 7 upgrade advisor page.
All software requirements must be met prior to the beginning of the school year to ensure your readiness for classes.
Student must bring
|Windows 71||Professional or Ultimate 32bit||Home Premium||Starter & Home Basic|
|Office 20102||Standard, Professional, Professional Plus, Ultimate, or Enterprise 32bit
||Home & Student||Basic or 64bit version
1 It is highly recommended that you bring Windows 7 and not the older Widows Vista or XP for the best experience in the Anderson computing environment. Although there will be exceptions for work computers that do not allow Windows 7 upgrades (Windows XP instructions will be made available online), we cannot guarantee that the older version of Windows will work properly in the Anderson computing environment..
2 It is vital you bring Office 2010 32bit version and not older versions of Office (Office 2007) or Office 2010 64bit version. Required educational software will not install properly with these versions. Office 2010 Home & Student versions do not include Outlook (Outlook is not a required product). Additionally STS can only provide support for United States, English language versions of operating systems and Office productivity suites.
Anderson will provide
3 Anderson required educational software runs ONLY in Windows and the Windows version of Office 2010.
Note: Anderson-provided software will be available for download during the online configuration process (after June 2011).
STS will provide the following service to all currently enrolled UCLA Anderson full time MBA, FEMBA and EMBA students whose laptop meets the minimum hardware and software requirements:
- Assistance with software installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Anderson supported applications and tools:
- Wireless and wired connection, network drives and printers, and Email.
- Microsoft Windows 7, Office 2010 (32bit), and Anderson provided educational software.
- Assistance with AndersoNET account issues (e.g. official name changes, year or program changes, password reset, access problems, etc.).
- Assistance in diagnosing and troubleshooting hardware and software problems with your laptop on a best effort basis.
- Virus and spyware removal and prevention.
- Web, phone, email and in-person support service points.
STS will NOT provide the following service:
- Data backup and retrieval (we can recommend data retrieval companies).
- Hardware repair and depot (shipping and receiving) service.
- Connectivity with home or work wired and wireless networks.
- Support for third party peripherals (e.g. smart phones, digital cameras, MP3 players, etc.).
- Anderson Student Association (ASA) Portal issues (contact your section representative for assistance).
- Support for Anderson alumni.
Should you have any questions regarding these requirements and recommendations, please contact the Student Technology Services office at 310-206-2045 (voicemail) or email@example.com for further assistance.