Lisa Brummel, MBA 1989
Turned Around Company Employee Experience at Microsoft
In 2005 Microsoft tapped Brummel, a relative outsider in the human resources field, to head HR at a time when company morale was at a recognized low. With her wide-ranging managerial experience and highly regarded personal skills, Brummel rose to the challenge of her mandate: to create "an environment where people can do their best work." Brummel joined Microsoft after graduating from UCLA Anderson in 1989 and just 18 months later was promoted to the first of several key management positions. In her first year in HR she held face-to-face meetings with nearly 5,000 employees, gaining input that she used to make a number of changes that led to a turnaround in company morale. A star athlete in high school and college, Brummel is also a co-owner of the WNBA's Seattle Storm.
• How to Make a Microserf Smile
• Women of Influence: Lisa Brummel
• Seattle Times Q&A with Microsoft's Lisa Brummel
• The Secret Brain Trust That REALLY Runs Microsoft
• Video: Reads Mini-Microsoft and Wears Shorts in Winter - Lisa Brummel, VP of HR